[Fosc] Yellow Star Thistle in Oakland
kpaulsell at pacbell.net
Tue Aug 21 05:35:38 PDT 2012
There are a few areas in Joaquin Miller Park:
* Along the Sunset Trail, from Sinawik Cabin westward. A lot near the
cabin. The goats are grazed on much of the rest of the grassland
area, but some thistles always remain near the trail
* Below Lookout Point there are some very large patches, some
threatening a native-plant hot spot. There's also Centaurea
melitensis in that area. There has been some removal work in this
area, but not enough
* At the west end of the Sanborn 1-way loop, there is some star
thistle along the edges of the road; the goats graze parts of the
adjacent steep hill, but thistle remains at the edges.
* A small amount near the parking lot by the MHA building on Skyline
* At the corner of Joaquin Miller Rd. and Skyline, at the top of the
roadcuts. This is an area with many rare plants; I try to visit once
or twice a year to work on the star thistle. It's not gone, but
there's less than there was.
On 8/20/2012 10:11 PM, Connie Kozlowski wrote:
> I found and uprooted a solitary yellow star thistle plant blooming in
> the Grand Lake area.
> Has anyone else seen this especially nasty weed on this side of the
> If so, where?
> Please let me know. Have weed wrench, will travel (just call me Paladin).
> Connie Kozlowski
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Fosc