[Fosc] Yellow Star Thistle in Oakland

Karen Paulsell kpaulsell at pacbell.net
Tue Aug 21 05:35:38 PDT 2012

There are a few areas in Joaquin Miller Park:

  * Along the Sunset Trail, from Sinawik Cabin westward. A lot near the
    cabin. The goats are grazed on much of the rest of the grassland
    area, but some thistles always remain near the trail
  * Below Lookout Point there are some very large patches, some
    threatening a native-plant hot spot. There's also Centaurea
    melitensis in that area.  There has been some removal work in this
    area, but not enough
  * At the west end of the Sanborn 1-way loop, there is some star
    thistle along the edges of the road; the goats graze parts of the
    adjacent steep hill, but thistle remains at the edges.
  * A small amount near the parking lot by the  MHA building on Skyline
  * At the corner of Joaquin Miller Rd. and Skyline, at the top of the
    roadcuts. This is an area with many rare plants; I try to visit once
    or twice a year to work on the star thistle. It's not gone, but
    there's less than there was.