[Fosc] Threespine stickleback observed in Sausal Creek!

Kimra McAfee coordinator at sausalcreek.org
Fri Oct 17 16:07:57 PDT 2014

Good news, Friends of Sausal Creek!

This morning FOSC Board Member Dr. Robert Leidy found a second species
of native fish in Sausal Creek, threespine stickleback (/Gasterosteus
aculeatus/).He observed 10-15 of the fish swimming around at the edge of
a pool in the lower watershed below the Barry Place restoration
area.This is an exciting find as we had previously only seen rainbow
trout (/Oncorhynchus mykiss/) in Sausal Creek!Threespine stickleback is
often an associate of rainbow trout.

Check out photos on FOSC’s Facebook page of one juvenile (approximately
1.5 inches) and one adult (approximately 2.5 inches), indicating
successful reproduction of the threespine stickleback in Sausal
Creek:www.facebook.com/FriendsOfSausalCreek

Threespine stickleback occur around the bay and may have both marine and
freshwater populations in the same watershed.Populations can be
established in streams through marine waters.They may be very localized
in Sausal Creek as they are not good at migrating over significant
barriers.Freshwater populations typically prefer cool, clear water as
they are visual feeders like rainbow trout.

Hope to see ya’ll Sunday at the Native Plant Sale and Open House at our
nursery!

http://www.documents.sausalcreek.org/FOSC_Plant_Sale_2014.pdf

e-mail: coordinator at sausalcreek.org
web: www.sausalcreek.org

/Read FOSC's fact sheet on Rainbow Trout in the Sausal Creek Watershed://
//http://www.documents.sausalcreek.org/Rainbow_Trout_in_the_Sausal_Creek_Watershed.pdf/