[Fosc] Free performance at Joaquin Miller Park, March 20

Lisa SBDP via Fosc fosc at lists.sausalcreek.org
Tue Mar 8 16:30:36 PST 2016

Hello Friends of Sausal Creek,
We are presenting a free dance performance at the Joaquin Miller Park
Cascade on Sunday, March 20th. I've included some information below. I hope
you can join us. It's part of a series we are doing, presenting free
performances of art in nature, after getting a grant from the City of
Oakland and coordinating with Oakland Parks and Rec.

Lisa Harding
Sarah Bush Dance Project
sarahbushdance.com
Follow @sarahbushdance   #ThisLand

March 20, 1pm Performance: “Reach” –
<http://sarahbushdance.org/2016/03/06/thisland-cascade/>*This Land
Oakland *(2nd
in series)
<http://sarahbushdance.org/2016/03/06/thisland-cascade/> by Sarah Bush
Dance Project <http://sarahbushdance.org/author/sarahbushdance/>

[image: ThisLand-March-small]
Sarah Bush Dance Project presents *This Land Oakland.*
"Reach"

*March 20, 1pm Woodminster Cascade at Joaquin Miller Park
<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#-699424483_directions> (lower fountain) *
Venture into the hills for a different view and movement that embodies the
efforts of trailblazing women who came before us.

[image: SBDP_Cascade-5999]

Join us Sunday, March 20th for the second of our *This Land Oakland*
<http://sarahbushdance.org/this-land-oakland/> series!

"Reach" a 20-minute site-specific piece choreographed by Sarah Bush.
Performed by Nicole Casado, Chelsea Hill and Nina Wu. With live music by The
Anita Lofton Project <http://www.theanitaloftonproject.com/>.

“Reach” honors the spirit of outdoor adventure and exploration of new
territories. It is informed by the legends and language of three
trailblazing women (Ina Coolbrith, Gertrude Stein, and Isadora Duncan) and
the ways their lives intersected in Oakland. The piece is a 20-minute
ascension of the large stone staircase on the hillside of Joaquin Miller
Park. The three dancers slip in and out of the struggles of both the
present and the past, their perspectives changing on their upward journey.
The piece reflects on ways the ‘landscape’ of obstacles has changed for
women in this country. And, how do we as Americans define ‘progress’? What
does it take to ‘get to the top’?

[image: Cascade-6079]

*Make a day of it!*
Before the performance, enjoy a picnic lunch, visit the Joaquin Miller Park
<http://www2.oaklandnet.com/Government/o/opr/s/Parks/JoaquinMiller/> Ranger
Station for park history, wildlife exhibits, and about the Native Plant
Nursery (the park is home to over 200 species of native plants). After the
show, explore the Redwood Bowl, hike the longer Sequoia Bayview Trail (dogs
allowed on leash), or check out the nearby Chabot Space and Science Center
<http://chabotspace.org/>--it's just up the hill on Skyline Blvd and is
great for adults and kids alike.

[image: map-cascade]
<https://www.google.com/maps/place/37%C2%B048%2736.6%22N+122%C2%B011%2726.9%22W/@37.810157,-122.1929817,17z/data=%213m1%214b1%214m2%213m1%211s0x0:0x0>

Woodminster Cascade
<https://www.google.com/maps/place/37%C2%B048%2736.6%22N+122%C2%B011%2726.9%22W/@37.8080627,-122.2106326,13z/data=%214m2%213m1%211s0x0:0x0>
is located on Joaquin Miller Road between Butters Drive and Crane Way in
Oakland. The audience area is wheelchair accessible from Joaquin Miller
Road. AC Transit <http://www.actransit.org/> bus #339 runs nearby. Check google
maps <http://maps.google.com> for directions specific to you. Please be
aware that some apps will direct you through the park to the *top* of the
cascade. However, the performance will be at the *bottom* of the cascade
close to Joaquin Miller Road, so adjust your directions accordingly.
[image: map-cascade-close]
------------------------------

*This Land* blog posts:

   - March 20, 1pm Performance: “Reach” – *This Land Oakland*
   <http://sarahbushdance.org/2016/03/06/thisland-cascade/>
   - “In the Wilds of Oakland” – Huffington Post
   <http://sarahbushdance.org/2016/02/20/huffpost-this-land/>
   - Feb 21, 1pm “Recreate” – *This Land Oakland* Kickoff
   <http://sarahbushdance.org/2016/02/07/thisland-lake-merritt/>
   - Lake Merritt Rehearsal Photos
   <http://sarahbushdance.org/2016/01/19/lake-merritt-photos/>
   - Shoreline clean up for MLK “Day of Service”
   <http://sarahbushdance.org/2016/01/18/shoreline-clean-up-for-mlk-day-of-service/>

Watch *This Land* videos
<https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLOtgZHVTLKeNfnXEZpc_mqXb-qmDC-kNd>.

Follow along.
@sarahbushdance
<https://sarahbushdance.wordpress.com/mentions/sarahbushdance/> #ThisLand
------------------------------

This project is supported by the Oakland City Council and funded by the
City of Oakland’s Cultural Funding Program.
[image: Oakland Cultural Funding]

Special thanks to Oakland Parks and Rec, East Bay Regional Park District,
The City of Oakland, Blum Family Foundation, Clorox Company Foundation,
Embarcadero YMCA, New Style Motherlode, SAFEhouse for the Performing Arts,
and many individual donors.
Photo credit: Lisa Harding.
*Sarah Bush Dance Project
<http://sarahbushdance.org/author/sarahbushdance/>* | March 6, 2016 at