[Fosc] Reminder: Cultural History Talk at FOSC Meeting on Wed., March 16, 7 p.m., Dimond Library

Kimra McAfee via Fosc fosc at lists.sausalcreek.org
Tue Mar 15 10:01:33 PDT 2016

Hi Friends of Sausal Creek,

Tomorrow night is our bimonthly meeting.  Typically our speakers present
on an environmental topic.  This month I'm delighted to host a cultural
history talk, which fits in well with FOSC's focus this year on
community engagement in the Fruitvale neighborhood--as you heard about
at our January meeting regarding the Walkable Watershed pilot project
(http://www.walkablewatershed.com/sausalcreek/).

Here are the details on tomorrow night's talk:

*Ponchos and Frockcoats, Bread and Tortillas: Confluence of Cultures on
Sausal Creek*
*Wednesday, March 16, 7 p.m.*
*Dimond Branch Library, 3565 Fruitvale Ave., Oakland*

How did Native Americans and early Californians navigate the collision
of cultures that occurred between 1775 and 1875 in the East Bay?  Holly
Alonso, executive director of Peralta Hacienda Historical Park, will
paint a detailed picture of this cultural encounter and its impact on
how we eat, dress, dance, posture, worship, perform, and interweave
cultures in the neighborhood today.

Flyer:
http://www.documents.sausalcreek.org/FOSC_Member_Mtg_Flyer_160316.pdf

Facebook Event: