[Fosc] Chicano Power Film and Talk-Back

Itzel Diaz via Fosc fosc at lists.sausalcreek.org
Tue Apr 5 10:59:59 PDT 2016

When:  Saturday, April 9th, 5:30-8:00 pm
Where: Center for History and Community; 2488 Coolidge, Oakland CA. 94601
What:   Film viewing and talk show panel
Cost:    Free

On April 9, 530-830 pm Peralta Hacienda will present a film showing and panel to celebrate—and investigate—Cesar Chavez and the Chicano Power Movement. Filmmaker Ray Telles will introduce the film on Cesar Chavez, "Prejudice and Pride" and tell how and why it was made. A panel of hard-hitting and dynamic speakers, youth and elders, will discuss how the movement got started, how it affected them and the whole familia, what it meant to their generation, and what it means today. What became of the Chicano Power Movement? What does chicano mean? Community members will tell their amazing stories of the movement and its aftermath. Alex Saragoza of UC Berkeley will moderate the family and tell his own story of his Central Valley childhood.  All who have any interest in Latinos today, the concept of “familia” and Cesar Chavez should not miss this event. Film showing begins at 530 and panel at 7pm.

Participants in the film talk-back and panel include Rosie Torres, Oakland School Board, Jose Hernandez of Barbara Lee's office, Rosario Flores, Chicano Power Movement activist, Victoria Herrrera, aide to Councilmember Noel Gallo; Alex Sargoza, UC Berkeley, moderator; and Ray Telles, filmmaker.

Panel Participants:
• Rosie Torres, Oakland School Board.
• Jose Hernandez, Barbara Lee's office.
• Rosario Flores, long-time activist, former member, Chicano Power Movement.
• Victoria Herrera, Noel Gallo’s aide
• Alex Saragoza, UC Berkeley Professor, moderator
• Ray Telles, UC Berkeley Professor and filmmaker.

Rosario Flores remembers, “At La Causa…they were saying, ‘We’re going to go protest at City Hall.’ And I thought, ‘For what?’ ‘Because of discrimination…they don’t hire Latino teachers.’ I was scared as heck, but my brothers and sisters were there and we all locked arms…The activism in the school and reading books, I just made my mind expand on my identity.”

This is one event in a nationwide initiative of the American Library Association and Peralta Hacienda Historical Park to highlight Latino history and cultures of the US, entitled “Latino Americans 500 Years of History.” Additional events at Peralta Hacienda includes a film and panel on May 28, “Peril and Promise, Deportation and Immigration.” On May 22, “Foods of Fruitvale” will take you on a guided tasting tour and storytelling tour on Foothill Blvd. The series culminates on June 25 with an OUSD Latin Dance contest, food and music at Peralta Hacienda.

Location: 2488 Coolidge, Peralta Hacienda's Center for History and Community