[Fosc] Pig Nuts

Mark Rauzon via Fosc fosc at lists.sausalcreek.org
Sun Sep 11 19:47:24 PDT 2016

The bird monitoring group of six folks had a wonderful day in the watershed, starting at Joaquin Miller Park. A fallen pine brought cones to the ground and many seed eaters were going after the pine nuts. One species, the pygmy nuthatch - called pig-nuts for short-  was very conspicuous for we usually only hear them chittering away in the treetops.  Here is a close-up of one that posed at eye level. House wren, dark-eyed junco, and California towhee were also photographed near the Fern Ravine area by the Sequoia Arena.

http://rauzon.zenfolio.com/p859914566/h3b03a904#h3b03a904

We ended the monitoring with the peregrine falcons of the Fruitvale Bridge. In all, about 35 species were recorded of this nice fall migration day.

Mark J. Rauzon