[Fosc] Board Meeting Agenda and Staff Report for 10/12/16

Kimra McAfee via Fosc fosc at lists.sausalcreek.org
Mon Oct 10 17:48:36 PDT 2016

Hi Friends of Sausal Creek,

Attached and copied below please find the board meeting agenda and staff
report for this Wednesday's board meeting.  FOSC board meetings are open
to the public.

Thank you,
Kimra

__________________________________

e-mail: coordinator at sausalcreek.org <mailto:coordinator at sausalcreek.org>
web: www.sausalcreek.org <http://www.sausalcreek.org>
Facebook: www.facebook.com/FriendsOfSausalCreek

/Don't miss FOSC's Native Plant Sale and Open House on Sunday, October
23, 10-4
Flyer at
/http://www.documents.sausalcreek.org/FOSC_Plant_Sale_Flyer_2016.pdf

*Friends of Sausal Creek**
**Board of Directors Meeting Agenda**
**Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 7-9 p.m.**
**Park Blvd. Presbyterian Church, 4101 Park Blvd., Room 35 on 3rd Floor,
Oakland**
*
Our mission is to restore, maintain, and protect the local ecosystem,
educate future
generations of environmental stewards, involve the community in local
environmental
stewardship, and collaborate with agencies and other nonprofits to have
a positive
impact on the environment.

Board Involvement:
Walkable Watershed Public Open House at César Chávez Library – Sat.,
Oct. 15, 11 a.m.-1 p.m.
Native Plant Sale – Sun., Oct. 23, 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
End of Year Appeal Signing – Wed., Nov. 9, 6 p.m. *NEED HOST*
Member Meeting – Bob Lewis Birds of the Bay – Wed., Nov. 18, 7 p.m.

7:00 Remarks from President

7:10 Approve Revised “What is FOSC?” and FOSC Mission Statement

7:20 Framework for Dimond Canyon Park Maintenance

7:40 Minutes and Commitments Review

7:45 Approve Revised Policy on Use of Motor Vehicles and Travel Time

7:50 Approve Revised Policy on Paid Time Off

7:55 Endowment Committee Report

8:05 Financial Report
o Project Timeline and Cash Flow Chart
o Operating Reserve Goal Assessment

8:20 Executive Director Responds to Questions on Staff Report

8:40 Round Robin or Reflections – a word or sentence from each person

*STAFF REPORT FOR BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING**
**Wednesday, October 12, 7-9 p.m.**
**Park Blvd. Presbyterian Church, 4101 Park Blvd., Room 35 on 3rd Floor,
Oakland**
*
STAFFING AND ADMINISTRATION

Paid Intern: Rebecca Armstrong started working for FOSC on September 3.

Outreach and Education Coordinator: Aubree McAtee started working for
FOSC on
September 15.

Database Transition: Michelle and Kimra continue to work with our
consultant on
customizing Salesforce for grant tracking and program management. We do
not yet have a
budget for what additional funding we will need to get all facets of our
work tracked in
Salesforce.

RESTORATION PROGRAM

Restoration Sites:

Beaconsfield Canyon – A contractor removed ailanthus sprouts and
invasive, nonnative trees on
the south facing slope thanks to a Diablo Fire Safe Council grant. Goat
grazing was carefully
coordinated with the goat grazing contractor to avoid planted natives.

Dimond Canyon Park – Michelle and Kimra would like to have a meeting
with interested parties
to come to a consensus about project goals in Dimond Canyon Park.

Pallid Manzanitas – The second monitoring day at the Chabot Space and
Science Center (CSSC)
colony is scheduled for October 28. FOSC staff is increasing our
involvement in coordinating
with volunteers on the annual monitoring report to try to reduce Nomad
Ecology consulting time.
More manzanita seedlings have germinated outside of the germination
plots, and we are making
plans to monitor them. We plan to again partner with CSSC on field trips
this fall to continue
fostering an education programming partnership. Volunteer Gwen Rino is
working on content
for an interpretive panel for the CSSC colony; we are still figuring out
graphic design services,
fabrication, and installation. FOSC awaits approval from California
Department of Fish &
Wildlife on our Big Trees work plan to add this site to our pallid
manzanita research permit.

Trails – Rebecca in the process of installing doggie bag dispensers at
high dog traffic areas along
trails, and she is also cleaning up and stocking old dispensers.

HandsOn Bay Area (HOBA) Partnership: In addition to trail crew and CSSC
pallid
manzanita workdays, we've added Bridgeview pollinator garden workdays to
HOBA's
community volunteer calendar; this partnership is bringing new
volunteers to these workdays.

NATIVE PLANT NURSERY

Nursery Propagation: Transplanting is almost coming to a close as we
move into fall. At the
nursery we are busy sorting seeds and taking care of the ~9,000 plants
currently growing for
restoration projects.

Nursery Facilities: Isaac Tran installed steps on the nursery hillside
leading to the benches at
the top of the hill as the first step in the creation of a path going
through the nursery
demonstration garden. Sam Watters completed and delivered our new fern
benches for the shade
house. We are coordinating with Karen Paulsell to install permanent
plant signs in the
demonstration garden along the fence.

Native Plant Sale, Sunday, October 23: We need the help of all board
members to fully staff
this event. Please fill out the sign-up sheet if you have not already
done so.

ENVIRONMENTAL EDUCATION PROGRAM

School Year Programs: Aubree has thus far scheduled seven field trips
for this school year.
Michelle and Rebecca led the first field trip of the year on October 7.
Aubree has been working
on reviewing past curriculum and refining the material for this school year.

GRANTS AND CONTRACTS UPDATE

Bay Area Integrated Regional Watershed Management, Prop. 1, Disadvantaged
Communities: We submitted an application for $102,000 for continuing
outreach started with
the Sausal Creek Walkable Watershed project. Our proposal included staff
time for both FOSC
and Unity Council, creation of an online engagement platform for
students, and consultant help
with pilot project design and mapping.

Coastal Conservancy “Explore the Coast” Grant: Our work plan and budget
have been
approved; once our funder acknowledgement plan is approved we can begin
invoicing. Aubree
has been working on curriculum for this program by visiting site
locations, reviewing historical
information on each site, and discussing site plans with Michelle and
Rebecca.

Rose Foundation California Watershed Protection Fund: In response to our
letter of inquiry
to support the ongoing Fruitvale community engagement process and to
move forward on the
first Walkable Watershed pilot project implementation, we were invited
to submit an
application for an $11,000 grant; this application was submitted on
October 7.

Urban Streams Restoration Program: Bob Roat, Michelle, and Kimra met
with Kristin
Hathaway to resolve questions so that we can finalize permits. Bob is
drafting the stormwater
pollution prevention plan.

Walkable Watershed Program:
· Aubree has provided outreach to the Fruitvale community by posting
flyers and
distributing flyers about the Walkable Watershed Open Houses. She has
communicated
with schools and possible partners via email and in person in hopes of
reaching educators
and students within the community.
· The first community open house to get public input on the draft maps
for the Walkable
Watershed Concept Plan was held on October 4. If you could not attend,
please stop by
on October 15, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. at Chávez Library.
· The National Park Service Rivers, Trails, and Conservation Assistance
Program has
approved our request for continued technical assistance through the end
of September
2017.
· Daniella will be translating the Walkable Watershed Concept Plan into
Spanish once
Skeo has finalized it in English. We anticipate celebrating the plan’s
release at our annual
State of the Watershed Meeting on January 18, 2017.