[Fosc] Board Meeting Agenda and Staff Report for 12/14/16

Kimra McAfee via Fosc fosc at lists.sausalcreek.org
Tue Dec 13 10:43:07 PST 2016

Hi Friends of Sausal Creek,

Attached and copied below please find the board meeting agenda and staff
report for this Wednesday's board meeting.  FOSC board meetings are open
to the public.

Thank you,
Kimra

__________________________________

e-mail: coordinator at sausalcreek.org <mailto:coordinator at sausalcreek.org>
web: www.sausalcreek.org <http://www.sausalcreek.org>

Like Us on Facebook!
<http://www.facebook.com/FriendsOfSausalCreek>www.facebook.com/FriendsOfSausalCreek
<http://www.facebook.com/FriendsOfSausalCreek>

*Friends of Sausal Creek**
**Board of Directors Meeting Agenda**
**Wednesday, December 14, 2016, 7-9 p.m.**
**Park Blvd. Presbyterian Church, 4101 Park Blvd., Room 35 on 3rd Floor,
Oakland**
*
/Friends of Sausal Creek works to restore, maintain, and protect the
Sausal Creek//
//Watershed. We educate future generations, involve the community in local//
//environmental stewardship, and collaborate with agencies and other
nonprofits to have//
//a positive impact on the local ecosystem.//
/
Board Involvement:
Solstice Planting Day – Sat., Dec. 17 (start times vary by site)
State of the Watershed – Wed., Jan. 18, 7 p.m., Fruitvale/San Antonio
Senior Center, 3301 E. 12th St., Suite 200 (2nd Floor)

7:00 Remarks from President

7:05 Discuss Master Calendar 2017

7:10 Endowment Committee Report

7:20 Minutes and Commitments Review

7:25 Vote in 2017 Board of Directors Officers

7:30 Board Member Briefing: Groundwork USA Program by Linda Stonier, NPS
Rivers, Trails, and Conservation Assistance Program

7:45 Financial Report
o Project Timeline and Cash Flow Chart
o Operating Reserve
o End-of-Year Appeal Update

8:00 East Bay Gives 2017 Update

8:05 Executive Director Responds to Questions on Staff Report

8:15 Retreat Ideas

8:30 Board Member Briefing: Trailhead Design by Stan Dodson

8:45 Round Robin or Reflections – a word or sentence from each person

***

*STAFF REPORT FOR BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING**
**Wednesday, December 14, 7-9 p.m.**
**Park Blvd. Presbyterian Church, 4101 Park Blvd., Room 35 on 3rd Floor,
Oakland**
*

RESTORATION PROGRAM

Restoration Sites:

Dimond Canyon Park – Rebecca has completed mapping of cape ivy in Dimond
Canyon Park
(funded by Alameda County Fish & Game Commission) and will draft a plan
for cape ivy
removal and ongoing maintenance. Karen Paulsell had previously mapped
all cape ivy in the
watershed; some areas that have been worked in the past have not been
maintained. A plan will
support our ongoing efforts to eradicate cape ivy from the watershed.
Michelle and Kimra will
schedule a meeting in January with board members who have expressed an
interest in developing
a restoration plan for Dimond Canyon Park; the cape ivy plan will be one
component of this
larger plan.

Joaquin Miller Park – At the Friends of Joaquin Miller Park board
meeting on November 14 the
city’s consultant Stantec presented the conceptual master plan for
Joaquin Miller Park, seeking
stakeholder feedback on needs and priorities. This is part of a larger
process focused on 18
priority city parks (including Dimond Park). Feedback will be compiled
into a report to go after
matching funding and grants—this is the basis for the parks capital
improvement program for the
next 5-10 years. While the plan is mostly focused on projects like
replacement of restrooms,
repair to Woodminster Cascade, and ADA accessibility, issues such as
drainage, trail erosion,
and trailhead upgrades were discussed, and the need for a Joaquin Miller
Park Master Plan was
expressed by Kimra and Karen Paulsell.

Pallid Manzanitas – On November 2 Nomad Ecology staff led volunteers and
Daniella to
complete the first annual monitoring of the Chabot Space and Science
Center (CSSC) colony.
Michelle drafted the first annual monitoring report and submitted it to
Nomad Ecology for their
additions. Although no seedlings have germinated in the germination plot
experiment areas, as of
11/2/16 there were 113 presumed pallid manzanita seedlings alive and 45
presumed pallid
manzanita seedlings dead in other parts of the site. Coordination of the
interpretive panel for the
CSSC colony has been handed off to Rebecca; CSSC is offering assistance
with graphic design.
Michelle and Kimra are still working with California Department of Fish
& Wildlife to add Big
Trees to FOSC’s pallid manzanita research permit.

Adopted Sites – Site leaders have been picking up their plants from the
FOSC nursery and have
begun planting at their adopted sites.

NATIVE PLANT NURSERY

Nursery Propagation: We are at the end of the season for propagation and
are mostly working
on facilities maintenance and planting in the nursery demonstration
garden during volunteer
workdays. Cutting collection hikes will start in January.

Nursery Facilities: Michelle and volunteers will be taking advantage of
the lull in propagation
to wash pots; clean up, sharpen, and organize tools; clean, sort, and
file seeds; plant natives in
our demonstration garden; clean the greenhouse; and weed the nursery
grounds. The Piedmont
Community Service Crew is still expressing interest in building a
pot-disinfecting solar oven at
the nursery (which would use heat instead of water and chemicals to
disinfect our pots), and the
crew recently dropped off wood at the nursery for this project.

Native Plant Sale: Thank you to all who contributed to the success of
the sale! We had 309
visitors to our nursery, grossed $7,726 in plant sales, and received
$1,019 in donations.

ENVIRONMENTAL EDUCATION PROGRAM

School Year Programs: FOSC staff have led 10 field trips so far this
school year. Ten field trips
of an anticipated total of 35 stewardship field trips have been
scheduled by Aubree. Aubree has
scheduled the first six Explore the Coast field trips in January (with
Achieve Academy and
ARISE High School). Thank you to Kathleen Harris for her help with
aquatic insect field trip
activities!

MONITORING PROGRAM

Water Quality Monitoring: Daniella has been working with Professor
Michael Lee to develop
a methodology to measure stream flow in Sausal Creek that could be
safely and reliably
performed by citizen monitors. She has worked with Professor Lee and
FOSC's water quality
monitoring team leaders to identify the dissolved oxygen meter for
purchase; because CSU-East
Bay will be paying for the portion of the meter costs not covered by
USDA, the meter will reside
at CSU-East Bay but will be available for future water quality
monitoring in the watershed.

COMMUNITY OUTREACH AND EDUCATION

March Against Trash and Illegal Dumping: We are working with EarthTeam
to hold another
student-led march on March 18, 2017, 10 a.m.-noon. Community members
will be invited to join
the students. This will be in lieu of the March monthly workday in
Dimond Park and Canyon.
buildOn students are committed to joining in the march. EarthTeam is
planning to coordinate a
picnic for the students following the march. FOSC will need to again add
this event to our
liability insurance policy.

GRANTS AND CONTRACTS UPDATE

Rose Foundation California Watershed Protection Fund: Our application
for a grant to
support the ongoing Fruitvale community engagement process and to move
forward on the first
Walkable Watershed pilot project implementation has been approved for
funding; we await
receipt of the grant contract.

Urban Streams Restoration Program: Michelle has completed a
comprehensive review of the
latest plan set and Project Description and Hydrology Report vs. all of
the comments submitted
to the consultant by FOSC and the city. We are working to get these
comments to the consultant
so the plan set can be finalized. Permits will be submitted when we have
the final project area
calculation from the consultant.

Walkable Watershed Program:
· More than 20 people attend the second community open house on October
15. Six open
house participants and neighbors joined Aubree and John Bowers for a
tour of Barry
Place on November 12.
· The final Walkable Watershed Concept Plan was received from Skeo on
December 9.
Daniella will translate the plan into Spanish. We will celebrate the
plan’s release at our
annual State of the Watershed Meeting on January 18, 2017, 7 p.m. at
Fruitvale-San
Antonio Senior Center.

STAFFING AND ADMINISTRATION

Paid Intern: Rebecca Armstrong is unable to continue her internship past
February 2016. We
have issued a job announcement for an education and stewardship intern
for February 1-May 31,
2017.

Tax Returns: We have filed an extension; our tax returns are now due on
February 15, 2017.