[Fosc] Board Meeting Agenda and Staff Report for 4/5/17

Kimra McAfee via Fosc fosc at lists.sausalcreek.org
Tue Apr 4 09:45:17 PDT 2017

Hi Friends of Sausal Creek,

Attached and copied below please find the board meeting agenda and staff
report for this Wednesday's board meeting.  FOSC board meetings are open
to the public.

Thank you,
Kimra

__________________________________

e-mail: coordinator at sausalcreek.org <mailto:coordinator at sausalcreek.org>
web: www.sausalcreek.org <http://www.sausalcreek.org>
Facebook: www.facebook.com/FriendsOfSausalCreek
<http://www.facebook.com/FriendsOfSausalCreek>

*Friends of Sausal Creek**
**Board of Directors Meeting Agenda**
**Wednesday, April 5, 2017, 7-9 p.m.**
**Park Blvd. Presbyterian Church, 4101 Park Blvd., Room 35 on 3rd Floor,
Oakland**
*
/Friends of Sausal Creek works to restore, maintain, and protect the
Sausal Creek//
//Watershed. We educate future generations, involve the community in local//
//environmental stewardship, and collaborate with agencies and other
nonprofits to have//
//a positive impact on the local ecosystem./

Board Involvement:
Earth Day Workday – Sat., April 22, morning
     Circulate: Earth Day Sign-Up Sheet
Nursery Workdays – Sat., April 8, May 13 & 27, 1:30-4:30 p.m., Sat.,
April 22, 9 a.m.-noon
     Circulate: Nursery Workday Sign-Up Sheet
East Bay Gives – Thurs., May 4, 12:00 a.m.-11:59 p.m.
Groundwork Trust Site Visit – Thurs-Fri., May 11-12

7:00 Opening Remarks from Vice President and Board Recruitment
Discussion: Richard Kauffman and Richelle Jacobs

7:10 Board Member Briefing: East Bay Gives by Richard Kauffman

7:40 Minutes and Commitments Review

7:45 Endowment Committee Report

7:55 Financial Report
     o Project Timeline and Cash Flow Chart
     o Operating Reserve Update
     o Draft Budget for Fiscal Year Ending 6/30/2018

8:15 Executive Director Responds to Questions on Staff Report

8:30 Board Member Briefing: Groundwork Trust Site Visit by Carl Kohnert

8:45 Round Robin or Reflections – a word or sentence from each person

***

*STAFF REPORT FOR BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING
Wednesday, April 5, 7-9 p.m.
Park Blvd. Presbyterian Church, 4101 Park Blvd., Room 35 on 3rd Floor,
Oakland
*
STAFFING AND ADMINISTRATION

Paid Intern: Education and Stewardship Intern Erin Todd is leading
nursery workdays and
collection hikes while we continue to advertise for a nursery manager.

Water Resources Intern: Daniella Cazares’ internship funded by USDA ends
on April 19.
Daniella will present her final recommendations for FOSC’s water quality
monitoring program at
the June 14 board meeting.

Restoration and Education Manager: Jill Miller assumed the role of
restoration and education
manager on February 22.

Student Board Member (Non-Voting): A Student Board Member (Non-Voting) Job
Description is being distributed to board members for their review.

RESTORATION PROGRAM

Earth Day 2017: A sign-up sheet for April 22, Earth Day 2017, will be
circulated at the board
meeting.

Bridgeview Trail and Pollinator Garden: Michelle drafted an update of
the Bridgeview Trail
Restoration Plan, including information from site leaders on pollinator
garden expansion and
notes on species that were thriving as of June 2016. She added notes for
places to add additional
information, including future decisions on the garden plant selection
criteria. The board and staff
retreat is still planned to take place at the garden (date TBD).

Monterey Redwoods: Kimra and Jill have submitted Eagle Scout candidate
Alex Murphy’s plan
to install split rail fencing with wire mesh for the April 12 Parks and
Recreation Advisory
Commission meeting agenda. The fencing will replace the orange plastic
temporary fencing.

Joaquin Miller Park: An Eagle Scout is working with Bicycle Trails
Council (BTC) to fix
Orchard Trail; Jill and Karen Paulsell met with the scout and BTC
representative to discuss
potential impacts to vegetation. The work involves redirecting water
that is currently draining
into Orchard Trail and filling in the trail with gravel. Sensitive
vegetation will not be affected.
Work will be completed on a single day, May 21.

Pallid Manzanitas: The first annual monitoring report of the Chabot
Space and Science Center
colony was submitted to California Department of Fish and Wildlife on
February 24. After
meeting with Lech Naumovich, Jill and Judy Schwartz have been working to
launch the Pallid
Manzanita Restoration Crew on April 8; the idea is to get volunteers to
help on at least six
workdays in the coming year and to build an educational component into
each workday. Jill is
planning a pallid manzanita tour for Endangered Species Day on May 19.

NATIVE PLANT NURSERY

Nursery Propagation: The last cutting collection hike of the season has
been led and the first
seed hike will take place in April. Sowing and seed treatment continue,
with nursery volunteers
supporting Erin, who has extensive notes from Michelle to guide her.
Board members are asked
to sign up to help on upcoming nursery workdays to provide support for
Erin and regular nursery
volunteers in the absence of a nursery manager.

Nursery Facilities: Eagle Scout candidate Lane Bentley completed a trail
that traverses the
demonstration garden on the inside of the fence and connects to the
stairs installed by a previous Eagle
Scout. Volunteers replaced the torn shade cloth panel with a new panel
($250 for new shade cloth).

ENVIRONMENTAL EDUCATION PROGRAM

School Year Programs: FOSC staff have led 36 field trips so far this
school year. This includes
seven field trips plus three pre-field trip classroom visits for Achieve
Academy third graders
under the new Follow Your Creek program funded by the Coastal
Conservancy. There are
currently three more Follow Your Creek field trips on the calendar, and
Jill is working to
schedule more trips for schools near the creek’s mouth.

GRANTS, CONTRACTS, AND OTHER FUNDRAISING

Alameda County Fish & Game Commission: We have been notified that our
grant request of
$9,592 to support our ongoing work with the endangered pallid manzanita
was fully funded.

Clorox Company Foundation: We submitted a grant application for $7,000
to support our
summer education programs with Team Oakland and Oakland Parks and
Recreation summer
camps in Joaquin Miller Park and our field trip programs for next school
year.

Urban Streams Restoration Program: The city is coordinating with the
project designer and
FOSC to respond to comments from California Dept. of Fish and Wildlife,
US Army Corps of
Engineers, and Regional Water Quality Control Board on the permit
applications for the project.
The project designer has submitted a revised drawing set for the city’s
bid process.

Walkable Watershed Program: The letter of interest submitted in
partnership with Unity
Council, other community partners, and the city to start a new
Groundwork Trust focused on
the Fruitvale District was approved. The next step is a site visit by
representatives of
Groundwork USA, the National Park Service, and the Environmental
Protection Agency. The
site visit will take place May 11-12.

East Bay Gives 2017: We need the help of all board members to make this
fantastic mid-year
fundraising opportunity our best yet! Mark your calendar for Thursday,
May 4. At the board
meeting we will discuss the forthcoming digital sign-up sheet and will
set a date for the reminder
postcard signing. View our profile at
https://www.eastbaygives.org/friends-of-sausal-creek.
Thank you!