[Fosc] Jingletown Estuary History and Art Walk: June 11, 10 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.

Jill Miller via Fosc fosc at lists.sausalcreek.org
Fri May 26 12:06:14 PDT 2017

*                         Portuguese workers, Jingletown, 1895
                              Vigin de Guadalupe by ​Kim Larson
                                      Carving the Oakland Estuary, 1902​*
​

*Jingletown: History and Art in an Historic Oakland Neighborhood*

Join local historian Dennis Evanosky and community organizer Cynthia Elliot
on Sunday, June 11, for a walk through Jingletown near where Sausal Creek
meets the estuary. Find out how this bustling and colorful neighborhood has
made history!

Dennis will trace the neighborhood’s history back to the Native American
shell mound that once stood along today’s Oakland Estuary near Dennison
Street. We will talk about the creation of “Government Island,” today’s
Coast Guard Island, and Jingletown’s beginnings as the 1887 North Alameda
Tract. Learn how the San Francisco Bridge (?) Company dug a canal, creating
the Oakland Estuary, cutting the tract off from Alameda itself.

We’ll walk along Boehmer Street (today’s East 7th Street) and “under” Park
Street (modern-day 29th Avenue.) We’ll even get to know the street’s
namesake Fritz Boehmer. We’ll visit the sites of the Derby and Bray
mansions along the way and learn the stories of these two pioneer Fruitvale
families. Dennis will also describe the Civil War training grounds on the
old Kennedy farm, the coming of the California Railway that carried
picnickers to Leona Heights and the fruit and cotton industries in the
neighborhood. You’ll also learn how the Portuguese workers at the cotton
mill gave Jingletown its name.

Cynthia will provide color commentary, including the most recent history of
Jingletown made by the artists who settled and worked here over the past
few decades. This walk coincides with the East Bay Open Studios, so plan to
visit some studios afterwards; more info at the Jingletown Arts and
Business Community website at: https://jingletown.org/

*The When and Where*

Meet at the Art Wall on Peterson Street between Ford and Chapman streets at
10 a.m., we’ll return to Art Wall at 12:30 p.m. For more information on the
walking tour, contact Jill Flaningam Miller at field at sausalcreek.org or
(510) 325-9006.

*About the Presenters*

*Dennis Evanosky* is the editor of the Alameda Sun newspaper and the
Alameda County Historical Society quarterly newsletter. He has written 12
history books with his business partner, Eric J. Kos. Their work includes a
book about Dennis’s neighborhood, the Laurel District, which won a Partners
in Preservation award from the Oakland Heritage Alliance. Dennis will open
his rolling bookstore (disguised as a Volkswagen Passat) after the tour. He
will be doing history walking tours for the city of Alameda and the Oakland
Heritage Alliance later this summer.

*Cynthia Elliot* is a founding member of Jingletown Arts & Business
Community, established in 2005 and has lived in the neighborhood for 17
years.

See you in the 'shed!

Jill
--