[Fosc] Board Meeting Agenda and Staff Report for 8/9/17

Kimra McAfee via Fosc fosc at lists.sausalcreek.org
Mon Aug 7 17:16:58 PDT 2017

Hi Friends of Sausal Creek,

Attached and copied below please find the board meeting agenda and staff
report for this Wednesday's board meeting.

FOSC board meetings are open to the public.

Thank you,
Kimra

__________________________________

e-mail: coordinator at sausalcreek.org <mailto:coordinator at sausalcreek.org>
web: www.sausalcreek.org <http://www.sausalcreek.org>
Facebook: www.facebook.com/FriendsOfSausalCreek
<http://www.facebook.com/FriendsOfSausalCreek>

Read FOSC's August newsletter at http://conta.cc/2huZCvh

<http://conta.cc/2sPyXKL>

Friends of Sausal Creek

Board of Directors Meeting Agenda

Wednesday, August 9, 2017, 7-9 p.m.

Park Blvd. Presbyterian Church, 4101 Park Blvd., Room 35 on 3^rd Floor,
Oakland

/Friends of Sausal Creek works to restore, maintain, and protect the
Sausal Creek Watershed. We educate future generations, involve the
community in local environmental stewardship, and collaborate with
agencies and other nonprofits to have a positive impact on the local
ecosystem. /

//

//

*Board Involvement:*

*Nursery Workdays* – Sat., Aug. 12 & 26, Sept. 9 & 23, 1:30-4:30 p.m.

*Board and Staff Retreat* – Sun., Aug. 27, 9 a.m.-noon

*Creek to Bay Day* – Sat., Sept. 16, morning

/Circulate:Creek to Bay Day Sign-Up Sheet/

*Member Meeting* – Igor Lacan /Our Urban Forest – /Wed.,//Sept. 20, 7 p.m.

*Oaktoberfest* – Sat., Sept. 30, AND Sun. Oct. 1

*Native Plant Sale*– Sun., Oct. 22, all day

/Circulate:Native Plant Sale Sign-Up Sheet/

7:00Remarks from President

7:05Welcome New Board Members

7:10Board Member Briefing: Stan Dodson on Unnamed Trails and Fern Ravine
Trail

Proposal Part 2

7:25Vision Statement Revision Approval

7:40Board Discussion:Requests for Honoring Loved Ones

7:55Minutes and Commitments Review

8:00Endowment Committee Report

oVote in new committee members

8:10Financial Report

oProject Timeline and Cash Flow Chart

oOperating Reserve Update

8:25Executive Director Responds to Questions on Staff Report

8:45Round Robin or Reflections – a word or sentence from each person

***

*STAFF REPORT FOR BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING**
**Wednesday, August 9, 7-9 p.m.**
**Park Blvd. Presbyterian Church, 4101 Park Blvd., Room 35 on 3rd Floor,
Oakland**
*
STAFFING

Intern: We hope to have a new intern hired by October 1.

RESTORATION PROGRAM

Bridgeview Switchbacks: On July 12, the Parks and Recreation Advisory
Commission (PRAC)
approved Eagle Scout candidate Cooper Ford’s proposal to add a section
of fence near the
bottom of the switchbacks. Construction is planned for this fall.

Monterey Redwoods: Alex Murphy’s fencing at Monterey Redwoods was
inspected and
approved by Park Supervisor Herman Miller on July 21.

Beaconsfield Canyon: Wendy Tokuda's grant request for $5,000 from Diablo
FireSafe Council
was approved. Wendy will coordinate with a contractor to get trees
limbed up with these funds.

Joaquin Miller Park:
     As detailed in the July FOSC News, Stan Dodson led the effort to
install four sections of
fencing along Wild Rose Trail to block off social trail access
negatively impacting the redwood
understory between this trail and Fern Ravine Trail.
     To support Mike Doyle’s ongoing acacia removal efforts in Joaquin
Miller Park, Jill
coordinated with the Oakland Zoo to pick up acacia for feeding zoo
animals in conjunction with
a public workday on July 22. We are exploring whether this could become
a recurring volunteer
event.

Pallid Manzanitas:
     Jill, Kimra, and Mark Rauzon met with Chabot Space and Science
Center’s new Director
of Operations/Facilities Tom Carine and Senior Manager of Education Eric
Havel to brief Tom
on the site history and to discuss assistance needed on the Pallid
Manzanita Habitat
Enhancement and Conservation Plan implementation. We will continue our
discussion on future
environmental education partnership opportunities in meetings with other
Chabot staff. Chabot
annual monitoring will be completed by Jill and Golden Hour Restoration
Institute staff. Judy
Schwartz will continue to lead the Pallids Crew in habitat restoration
activities until the rainy
season causes the next seasonal hiatus on field work.
     Jill and volunteers completed the annual monitoring of the Big
Trees colony in July.

Wildfire Prevention and Oakland Vegetation Management Plan:
     Barbara Goldenberg reported that at the June 15 Wildfire Prevention
District Citizen
Advisory Committee meeting Oakland Fire Department gave a presentation
on their new map
books for the engine companies and dispatch, with recognition of Stan
Dodson’s efforts, Karen
Paulsell's maps, and Friends of Sausal Creek. They reported that signs
will soon be installed at
all the yellow fire gates throughout Oakland with a number representing
the fire station serving
the trail entrance and that specific trail.
     Karen Paulsell provided Horizon Water and Environment a map for
“Joaquin Miller
Road and Skyline Blvd. Rare Plant Protection Guidelines for Fuel
Management Work.” We also
sent Vince Crudele this map and a map of pallid manzanita protections
areas for use by the
Oakland Fire Department and their contractors for this year’s fuel
management; Mike Perlmutter
with Oakland Environmental Services forwarded these maps to staff in
Oakland Public Works
and Planning. Planning staff have requested the GIS data for the pallid
manzanitas.

NATIVE PLANT NURSERY

Nursery Propagation: Erin is working on updating the propagation plan
given the delay in the
Dimond Canyon Erosion Control Restoration Project.

Nursery Facilities: Jeff Chilcott and Matt Moses redid the irrigation in
the sunny growing grounds.
The pipes are now laid out in a closed-loop configuration above the
ground cloth but below the mulch.
Materials for this repiping cost approximately $200. A huge thank you to
Jeff and Matt for so
generously giving of their time to fix the nursery irrigation.

Nursery Best Management Practices: Percy Honniball completed
construction of the solarizer to
sanitize our pots. Erin is working on testing the temperature to
determine if any insulation needs to be
added.

Native Plant Sale and Open House: The native plant sale and open house
will be held on Sunday,
October 22, 10 a.m.-3 p.m. We are working on the day’s line-up so that
we can develop the flyer.

ENVIRONMENTAL EDUCATION PROGRAM

Summer Programs: Our three Team Oakland teams have been a great
help—they’ve weeded
the rock river at Woodbine Corner, removed algae from the Dimond Park
daylighted reach,
cleared trash out of the creek above El Centro, pulled weeds and spread
mulch at Barry Place,
and prepared the sunny growing grounds for the new irrigation system.
Team Oakland special
projects end on August 11. It’s been another great summer leading weekly
activities for Oakland
Parks, Recreation & Youth Development campers in Joaquin Miller Park;
those programs wrap
up in mid-August.

School Year Programs: Teachers have begun to contact Jill about field
trips for next school
year. Erin will assist Jill with any large field trip groups in
September until an intern is hired.

COMMUNITY OUTREACH AND EDUCATION

Rainbow Trout: Oakland Public Works sign shop has agreed to produce no
fishing signs for
Dimond Park. We await California Department of Fish & Wildlife approval
of the sign as drafted
by Oakland Parks, Recreation & Youth Development. We are excited that
park visitors are
regularly seeing rainbow trout from the Wellington Street creek overlook.

Alameda County Watershed Symposium: Kimra and Kathleen Harris attended a
symposium
committee kick-off meeting in June. The symposium will likely be held on
March 8 at the
Oakland Scottish Rite Center. It is being hosted by Alameda County Flood
Control District with
a symposium coordinator from the Alameda County Resource Conservation
District. The goal is
to bring together watershed stakeholders within Alameda County—local
groups, public and
private sector representatives, and other watershed community members—so
that attendees can
network and share creek and watershed information as well as innovative
ideas.

East Bay Express Insert: East Bay Municipal Utility District is
producing a 12-page insert
“Watershed to Bay: Environmental protection right here in the East Bay”
for distribution on
September 6, 2017. The insert will highlight East Bay watersheds and
waterways, as well as
pollution prevention actions and nonprofit groups that protect the
environment and the bay.
Richard Kauffman and Kimra provided verbiage and photos for Friends of
Sausal Creek to have
an ad included (free of charge).

GRANTS, CONTRACTS, AND OTHER FUNDRAISING

Bay Area Integrated Regional Water Management Program Prop. 1 Disadvantaged
Communities Grant: Kimra and Linda Stonier had a phone interview on June
27 with
Environmental Justice Coalition for Water team members to discuss the
project proposal that we
submitted last August. The committee is still evaluating all proposals.

Urban Streams Restoration Program: The city received notification from
the California Dept.
of Fish and Wildlife that the project may be completed as described in
our permit application
without an agreement as the timeline for the agency to issue a Lake or
Streambed Alteration
Agreement expired. Jill has updated the Monitoring and Maintenance Plan,
and the designer has
drafted revisions to respond to the second round of comments from the
Regional Water Quality
Control Board. The Creek Protection Permit will be publicly noticed in
September.

Walkable Watershed Program: Kimra met with a homeowner adjacent to the
buried creek on
Logan Street and discussed possibilities for raising creek awareness in
this stretch. Kimra met
with Dimond Improvement Association Beautification Committee members to
discuss
possibilities for the creek overlook at Bienati Way and Dimond Avenue.

<http://www.facebook.com/FriendsOfSausalCreek>