[Fosc] Board Meeting Agenda and Staff Report for 12/13/17

Kimra McAfee coordinator at sausalcreek.org
Mon Dec 11 11:43:12 PST 2017

Hi Friends of Sausal Creek,

Attached and copied below please find the board meeting agenda and staff
report for this Wednesday's board meeting.

FOSC board meetings are open to the public.

Thank you,
Kimra
__________________________________

ph:  510.501.FOSC (3672)
e-mail: coordinator at sausalcreek.org <mailto:coordinator at sausalcreek.org>
web: www.sausalcreek.org <http://www.sausalcreek.org>

Like Us on Facebook!
www.facebook.com/FriendsOfSausalCreek
<http://www.facebook.com/FriendsOfSausalCreek>

*Friends of Sausal Creek**
**Board of Directors Meeting Agenda**
**Wednesday, December 13, 2017, 7-9 p.m.**
**Park Blvd. Presbyterian Church, 4101 Park Blvd., Room 35 on 3rd Floor,
Oakland**
*
/Friends of Sausal Creek works to restore, maintain, and protect the
Sausal Creek//
//Watershed. We educate future generations, involve the community in local//
//environmental stewardship, and collaborate with agencies and other
nonprofits to have//
//a positive impact on the local ecosystem.//
/
Board Involvement:
Solstice Planting – Sat., Dec. 16, 9 a.m., multiple sites
State of the Watershed Meeting – Wed., Jan. 17, 7 p.m., Dimond Library

7:00 Remarks from President

7:05 Introductions

7:10 Board Member Discussion:  Master Calendar 2018

7:15 Restoration Committee Revival

7:20 Board Member Briefing:  FOSC Involvement on CEQA and Permit Matters
(Ralph Kanz)

7:35 Vote in 2018 Board of Directors Officers

7:40 Minutes and Commitments Review
             o Bioblitz
             o Approve Standard Response for Requests for Honoring Loved
Ones

7:45 Proposed Revision to Bylaws

7:50 Endowment Committee Report
             o Capital One & Vanguard Account Authorized Users

8:00 Financial Report
             o Project Timeline and Cash Flow Chart
             o End-of-Year Appeal and Giving Tuesday Update

8:15 Executive Director Responds to Questions on Staff Report

8:30 Round Robin or Reflections – a word or sentence from each person

8:45 Closed Session

***

*STAFF REPORT FOR BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING**
**Wednesday, December 13, 7-9 p.m.**
**Park Blvd. Presbyterian Church, 4101 Park Blvd., Room 35 on 3rd Floor,
Oakland**
*
RESTORATION PROGRAM

Winter Planting: We have 4,200 native plants to plant in the watershed
this winter. Jill and Erin
have coordinated on how to accomplish staff-led planting on Solstice
Planting Day (December 16),
a private Student Conservation Association workday, and with students on
field trips. Erin is
coordinating with all site leaders regarding picking up their plants
from the FOSC nursery for
volunteer-led planting this winter. Kelcey will assist on several of
these planting days. Erin has
met with most site leaders to see their sites and to update the
propagation plan for next winter’s
planting. FOSC is coordinating with Dimond Improvement Association to
plant some native plants
at the Bienati Creek Overlook and Woodbine Corner.

Pallid Manzanitas:
     Manzanita Drive ITP Project – The city has approved FOSC’s proposal
to outplant pallid
manzanitas at two sites in Joaquin Miller Park: Manzanita Flat and at
the FOSC Native Plant
Nursery and area across Sanborn Drive from the nursery.
     The permit FOSC holds with California Department of Fish and
Wildlife expires on
December 31. We will prepare a final report and begin conversations
about a new permit for our
work at the Big Trees colony and on the one pallid manzanita already on
nursery grounds.
     Chabot Colony – Jill has drafted the second annual monitoring
report and submitted it to
Lech Naumovich for his review. Although no seedlings have germinated in
the germination plot
experiment areas, there are now approximately 150 pallid manzanita
seedlings at the site—a 50%
increase in germination from Year 1. However, last winter the large
pallid manzanita west of the
West Ridge Trail fell over; three branches with live foliage persist.
One of the two mature pallid
manzanitas east of the West Ridge Trail declined over the past year and
is now expected to die
soon. Jill is working with two Eagle Scouts on fencing projects around
the germination plot
experiments to replace the orange plastic fencing; projects would be
completed after the rainy
season. Jill is replacing the “restoration in progress” signs with
updated team information.

Trails: Kimra provided two letters of support to Stan Dodson for
submittal to Parks and
Recreation Advisory Commission: one on the naming of no-name trails as
discussed at the FOSC
Board Meeting on October 11, 2017; and one for the replacement of the
gate at the Joaquin
Miller Court Trailhead for Palos Colorados Trail. The Palos Colorados
gate will include a
chicane (sketch provided at FOSC Board Meeting on December 14, 2016),
with a gravel
walkway edged in through the chicane for ADA compliance.

NATIVE PLANT NURSERY

Native Plant Sale: Thank you to all who contributed to the success of
the sale! We had 381
visitors to our nursery, grossed $7,076 in plant sales, and received
$659 in donations.

Nursery Propagation: Cuttings hikes resumed in November.

Nursery Facilities: Dale Risden will be the site leader for the
expanding demonstration garden
inside the nursery fence. Erin is working with two Eagle Scouts on
nursery projects: Sean
Johnson has finished his project proposal for completing the trail on
the nursery hill/adding
steps; and Zach Jolly plans to start his project to reseal all the
nursery benches in January.

ENVIRONMENTAL EDUCATION PROGRAM

School Year Programs: FOSC staff have had four pre-field trip classroom
visits and led 19
field trips so far this school year, some serving multiple classes. Many
of our field trips this fall
have been with the same classes over multiple days and sites for the
purpose of facilitating
experiences that are deep and broad. For example, juniors from Oakland
High’s Environmental
Science Academy are conducting aquatic insect monitoring at Dimond Park
and Canyon nearly
every month throughout the school year. Manzanita SEED’s 5th graders
will be taking their
second field trip of the school year to Dimond Canyon later this month
and will have a third trip
in April. Students in ARISE High School’s ecology elective have visited
the estuary and Dimond
Park, and next week they will be at Monterey Redwoods. At each of these
sites the students are
testing water quality in order to make comparisons of data from
different areas in the watershed.
In January the ARISE students will be at the Jingletown native plant
garden to further round out
their tour of multiple watershed sites. Jill is currently focusing on
outreach for our “Follow Your
Creek” program funded by Coastal Conservancy—birdwatching opportunities
at the estuary are
prime for winter field trips!

COMMUNITY OUTREACH AND EDUCATION

“No Fishing” Signs: Oakland Public Works fabricated and installed “No
Fishing” signs at the
Wellington and El Centro pools. FOSC staff coordinated the signage
design with city staff and
California Department of Fish and Wildlife.

Facebook: We were approved by Facebook to add a donate button to our
organization page. We
received $1,000 in matching donations from Facebook and the Bill and
Melinda Gates
Foundation from donations made to FOSC via this button on Giving Tuesday.

Tabling Poster Display: Freddy translated the content on our new poster
display for tabling into
Spanish, and we had the display professionally printed for our Día de
los Muertos table.

Alameda County Watershed Confluence: Kimra continues to participate in
the Speaker and
Presentation Group meetings; she is providing support for the
“Collaboration” part of the day,
which will include introductions of Alameda County creek community
groups. Mark your
calendar for March 8 at the Oakland Scottish Rite Center.

EBMUD Sustainable Landscape Online Map: The Dimond Park Native Plant
Demonstration
Garden and the Sausal Creek Restoration Project in Dimond Park have been
added to EBMUD’s
new sustainable landscape map web page:
http://www.ebmud.com/water-anddrought/conservation-and-rebates/watersmart-gardener/sustainable-landscape-map/

GRANTS, CONTRACTS, AND OTHER FUNDRAISING

Alameda Countywide Clean Water Program Community Stewardship Grant
2016-2017:
Jill will present the draft rainbow trout interpretive panel for the El
Centro Trailhead to the
Parks and Recreation Advisory Commission on December 13.

Bay Area Integrated Regional Water Management Disadvantaged Community
Involvement Program (funded by Prop. 1): FOSC has been selected as an
outreach partner.
Funding will be provided upon completion of a work plan with a
task-based budget and timeline,
which Freddy and Kimra will collaboratively develop with the
Environmental Justice Coalition
for Water.

Bill Graham Memorial Foundation: FOSC received a $4,500 grant to support
our field trip
programs for underserved students in 2017-2018.

NOAA Bay Watershed Education and Training Program: Girl Scouts of Northern
California included FOSC as a partner for three afterschool field trips
for Title 1
schools ($1,000 budget).

The Strong Foundation for Environmental Values: FOSC received a $5,000
grant to support
Fruitvale community engagement and progress on Walkable Watershed projects.

Urban Streams Restoration Program:
     City Project Manager Ben Livsey is preparing a staff report seeking
City Council
authorization to reject the bid, which was 80% over the engineer’s
estimate, and to begin open
market negotiation to identify a construction firm for the project. This
will go to the Public
Works Committee on 1/9/2018.
     Acacia removed last winter around the Storm Drain 1 outlet are
re-sprouting. Erin will be
leading volunteers in tarping these stumps.
     Jill is working with one of the property owners adjacent to the
Storm Drain 1 outlet to
plant some trees this winter; all trees to be planted will be outside of
the contractor’s work area.

STAFFING AND ADMINISTRATION

Fruitvale Outreach Coordinator: Freddy Gutierrez started on October 23.
Given additional
funding secured for the position, we will need to issue a new letter of
agreement for 2018.

Tax Returns: We have filed an extension; our tax returns are now due on
February 15, 2018.