[Fosc] EBMUD discharge from Carisbrook/Darnby Reservoir

Kimra McAfee coordinator at sausalcreek.org
Fri Dec 15 15:12:15 PST 2017

Hi Friends of Sausal Creek,

I wanted to update you on the EBMUD discharge that Steven reported on
the listserv yesterday.  Here is information from EBMUD:

Our staff and a contractor are working on upgrades to Carisbrook
Reservoir, in order to do this work the reservoir has to be drained. The
good news is the water within the reservoir has already been
dechlorinated (so safe for aquatic life – i.e. fish). The discharges
noted in Steve’s email were our EBMUD staff testing the discharge path
of the dechlorinated water to ensure it will go where directed (the
storm drain – as permitted by Regional Water Quality Control Board and
the City of Oakland).

  Apparently on Tuesday, December 12^th there was also a blowoff valve
leak/break just downhill of Carisbrook Reservoir – this has been stopped
and repaired. Crews may be discharging some water from this pipe today –
but they will manage it for dechlorination and sediment control prior to
any discharge to storm sewer.

The full draining of the reservoir was scheduled for December 14^th ,
however the discharge path testing hasn’t been fully resolved – so
further releases will still be seen over the coming days.

You can contact EBMUD 24 hours a day regarding water main breaks or any
other water discharge issues or concerns at 866-403-2683 (that's
866-40-EBMUD!).  This number along with who to call for other creek
issues is on FOSC's website at www.sausalcreek.org > Get in Touch >
Report Creek Issues (http://www.sausalcreek.org/report-creek-problems).
Thank you for being the eyes, ears, and nose of the creek!

Thank you to Iowayna Peña of Vice Mayor Campbell Washington's office for
quickly forwarding Steven's post to EBMUD, and thank you to EBMUD for
providing the information.

Kimra

ph:  510.501.FOSC (3672)
e-mail: coordinator at sausalcreek.org <mailto:coordinator at sausalcreek.org>